Monday, February 28, 2011

Walk for Choice Followup


Participating in the Austin Walk for Choice was, no lie, one of the best experiences of my life. I'm relatively new to this whole activism thing; while I've always been a feminist and believed strongly in the right to choose, it was only recently that I realized that that right was being attacked, and this was the first time I'd gotten the nerve to walk the walk as well as talk the talk. Now, I think it's safe to say I will be attending a lot more protests and rallies. The pride I felt in standing up for what I believe in was a high I rode the rest of the day, and I felt that this is what being a true patriot is like; not blindly following the whims of politicians, but organizing the people to counter injustice with solidarity and strength. After the Walk, we met up with the American... Dream rally that was on the capitol steps, and helped show solidarity to Wisconsin. I looked around at all those people, all ages, all races, man and woman, some with their whole family with them, and I felt patriotic as all hell, which is not exactly a familiar feeling. But THAT'S what it's all about. These people are what America is supposed to be, not rich white men doing everything in their power to assure they make even more money and never have to spend a cent on it helping others while simultaneously regulating our sex lives and health care choices because they think their god requires it of them.



I wanted to thank the Walk for Choice organizers for making this a reality, and all the awesome people who showed up to stand together for women's rights. It was an honor to meet you and to stand beside you.


Now, we return you to your regularly scheduled geeky nonsense.

Sunny out!

No comments:

Post a Comment